Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Lesson in French


Last summer, DH and I spent a weekend in a small town for one of his sports meets.  It was a typical small town:  one grocery store, one gas station, a few motels, and about four bars.  While in our motel’s breakfast room, I was chatting with some of DH’s teammates.  Everyone else in the breakfast room was from the team except for one couple, who were conversing with each other in French.  As I was leaving the breakfast room, we all said the usual “Bye”, “See you at the site”, etc.  Just as I was about to go out the door, I turned around, looked at the couple, smiled and said, “Au revoir”.  The French-speaking couple looked quite shocked and said, “Au revoir!”  The looks on their faces were priceless.

2 comments:

  1. We aren't aware how something so small can make a big impact on someone's life. I'm thinking they smiled about that all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty neat. I wonder if they were shocked because they figured you knew French and heard all the gossiping they were doing beside you at the table.

    Just kidding.

    Apparently, I had a full on conversation in Africa with a French couple, after we hot air ballooned. I was hammered. But I think (hope) I made some sense!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - bring 'em on!